Skip to main content

Making a Bag Sewing Diary

Session 1: For a long time  I have admired the photos of the Vintage Flower Bag on the kits and patterns displayed in craft shops. On Thursday I bought the kit that included the fabric for £24.95 at a craft show at the NEC. .

Session 2: I decided to use the pattern to make a practice bag before I cut into the material in the kit. Well I've had fun finding materials and scraps from my stash . It took some time but I have realised that I definitely buy an excess of blue.

The fun ended when I tried to make sense of the pattern. The instructions are not clear and there are not enough pictures/diagrams. There seems to be some instructions missing, for instance  regarding the side pockets.

I turned to a sewing group on Facebook for advice. Someone kindly answered and agreed that the instructions are poor but she has managed to create a semblance of the bag. She says if she makes it again she will make the strap longer and she will create a way of fastening the top so that her belongings do not fall out.

Session 3: I have sewed all day but I walked away when I was tempted to act upon my correspondent's last piece of advice - "If all else fails, stamp on it!"

Session 4  I have abandoned the instructions and I'm making it up as I go along. I now have these pieces :



1. Front top attached to bottom lining.

2. Side pockets attached to side pieces.


3. Lined front pockets attached to base  (back view)

4. Front pockets attached to base (front view)

I haven't really got a clue what I'm doing! I have promised myself that I will watch lots of You Tube videos  - for instance those by Debbie Shore like this!  Why didn't I watch these before? Another lesson learned!

Session 5: Completed but not what I started out to do. I now have a container for either my sewing accessories or a bedside tidy to hold books, notebooks, kindle....
It is fully lined and it has pockets on all sides.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vogue V9246 Pattern Review

Another Purse For Hair Accessories

Hairbands